Honor Flight DCA welcomes the participation of your club, group, scout troop, church or school to greet our incoming heroes.
Some flights and terminals cannot accommodate large crowds of greeters. Our email confirmation to you does not guarantee that the request we send to the airline on your behalf will be granted.
Please email email@example.com if you have a large group with approximate group size, flight, and day, and we will work with you!
Minor children accompanied by a parent do not need photo IDs to enter the secured area. However, please register them through our GAP process (see the schedule to “GET YOUR GAP HERE”)
If you bring a group of children, please let us know ahead of time, and make sure there are adult chaperones from your group to assist in keeping the children together and in place. While greeters may and do step forward to shake hands and hug veterans, it is important to maintain a clear walkway open for the veterans.
Veterans especially cherish cards and pictures made by the school children. If your group would like to prepare cards or draw pictures for the veterans, that would be welcome and appreciated.
For group questions, please contact Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org
Each airline has a different process for issuing gate passes to groups, so it is important to understand each in making your decision which Honor Flight to attend.
- American Airlines (Terminal C) – typically no restriction on group size. If you bring a group to one of these arrivals, then we can work closely with you to ensure your group’s gate passes are together and that your entire group gets signed up. With a group, it is requested that one point of contact be assigned to work with us to collect names on a separate spreadsheet (rather than sign up individually on our website) and serve as the person to pick up the gate passes. Also, if there are multiple flights coming in one the same day on American, the POC for the group must pick up the gate passes 45 minutes prior to the first flight – the counter will not reopen for the additional flights. The cutoff for the group list is 24 hours prior to the arrival.
- Delta (Terminal B) – Delta personal works closely with us, but will sometimes limit the number of gate passes they provide. If you are considering a greeting for a Delta flight, please contact us at email@example.com to let us know the approximate group number in your group so we can clear it with Delta. Approval depends on the number of other greeters expected/signed up. While group members can sign up individually on our website, we prefer you use a spreadsheet template we provide to collect names and other pertinent information – so we can keep your group together. If using the template, the cutoff for the group list is 48 hours prior to the arrival. Each person must pick up their gate passes separately the morning of the flight.
- Sun Country (Terminal A) – like Delta, they work closely with us, and will accommodate as space allows in Terminal A. If you are considering a greeting for a Sun Country flight, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the approximate group number in your group so we can clear it with Delta. Approval depends on the number of other greeters expected /signed up. While group members can sign up individually on our website, we prefer you use a spreadsheet template we provide to collect names and other pertinent information – so we can keep your group together. If using the template, the cutoff for the group list is 48 hours prior to the arrival. Each person must pick up their gate passes separately the morning of the flight.
- Jet Blue (Terminal B) – this is our first year in partnership with Jet Blue! Their process is very similar to Delta and Sun Country.
- Southwest Airlines (Terminal A) – they limit the # of gate passes to 20, and it’s first come first serve. If you wish to bring a group to a SWA arrival, please ensure everyone signs up as soon as possible on our website. There are no implicit guarantees that each person signing up will be awarded a gate pass. Each individual greeter will be notified 36-48 hours prior to the flight if they will receive a gate pass. For SWA flights, we recommend groups greet outside security. For this, no sign up is necessary.
- Virgin Air (Terminal C) – see above for Delta and Sun Country.
- Alaska Air (Terminal B) – see above for Delta and Sun Country
Once you decide on a flight, please let us know at email@example.com and we will send out additional information specific to the process for that airline.
- Other useful information:
- Parking vouchers are provided at the discretion of the airport. We encourage car pools or metro. If your group is arriving by bus, let me know and we can provide information on bus parking.
- Everyone needs a gate pass, including babes in arms. Gate passes cannot be provided the day of the flight for walk ups. Anyone that did not sign up prior to the deadline can greet outside security.
- The name on the spreadsheet must match the official government issued ID (full first name, last name) that must be presented at TSA. Minors will not need ID, but must have a gate pass.
- Please brings flags, banners, signs and cameras! Some groups like to provide mementoes for the Vets – like thank you cards, etc. Just be mindful that the Vets may not be able to carry many things in their hands or store them throughout the day.
- Gate passes are for the airport greeting only. Additional information posted on the website is FYI only. You are not required to commit to the whole day.
If you have any additional information, please let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org